Natural Treatments For Cats And Dogs
With Autoimmune Diseases
By Susan Blake Davis, Pet Nutritionist
Autoimmune disease in cats and dogs may be characterized by some of the following symptoms:
- Puzzling, unusual symptoms, seemingly unrelated
- Periods of sickness & periods of wellness (some pets can have a sudden life-threatening "attack")
- Constant maladies---pet has chronic infections, muscle weakness or fatigue especially in a young pet
- Chronic Inflammatory reactions that come and go
- Bouts of attack on a specific body part (e.g. gums or thyroid)
In autoimmune disease,
the pet's immune
system is so overloaded that the pet's body forms antibodies to its own
tissues and attacks itself. Autoimmune conditions can be one of
the hardest illnesses to treat and conventional care typically involves
the use of steroids to calm the overactive immune response. While there
is typically a genetic predisposition,
the onset of the attacks is associated with triggers (e.g.
exposure to vaccines, environmental chemicals, stress, food allergens).
Anatomy does not have to become destiny. Click here to learn more about food allergens and how they create inflammation.
is hope for dogs and cats with autoimmune conditions. Identifying the
triggers can help control the inflammation associated with autoimmune
disease. Treating and controlling autoimmune disease symptoms is
complex but not impossible. While it may be hard to reverse damage that
has already occurred, holistic care can help manage the triggers which will directly effect the
ongoing progression of the disease.
example, pets can have thyroid abnormalities (dogs hypothyroidism and
hyperthyroidism) as an autoimmune reaction to foods they are eating.
The thyroid is a barometer and years of inflammation in the bowel can
affect how the thyroid functions. Using a diet and supplements to
reduce inflammation can in fact, help the pet's overall thyroid
function. The pet may continue to need some thyroid support, but the
amount of medication can often be reduced (rather than the typical
increase as the disease progresses) and other health problems can be
much better controlled (e.g. skin problems seen in dogs with thyroid
disorders, for example).
Common autoimmune diseases found in pets:
- Hypothyroidism in dogs (some forms)
- Hyperthyroidism in cats (some forms)
- Pillow Paw Disease
- Stomatitis in cats
- Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia
- Dry Eye
- Immune Thrombocytopenia
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Immune-related arthritis
wanted to let you know how well the Immune Harmony has been working for
Cody, our 5 year old spaniel/border collie mix. Cody has autoimmune
thrombocytopenia (his immune system attacks his platelets)." -Pat A., PA
If your dog or cat has an autoimmune disease, dietary changes are essential. Pets need to eat a hypoallergenic, low carbohydrate diet to reduce inflammation. Use fresh foods such as a raw frozen rabbit diet and avoid feeding any dry food as it is high in carbohydrates. Using the supplement regimen combined with diet changes can greatly change the lives of cats and dogs with autoimmune disorders. We will help you! When ordering supplements, please be sure to include the food you are feeding your pet along with health issues directly on the order form at checkout. We will include FREE diet suggestions on the packing slip that comes with your order.
Essential Supplements for Pets with Autoimmune Disease:
only certain kinds of immune support supplements will be helpful and
some can even be harmful. Since a pet with autoimmune disease has an
immune system that is already overstimulated, using supplements that
"strengthen" immune activity can often make the situation worse.
Instead, use supplements that 1) reduce inflammation and/or 2) balance
the immune system by quieting GI activity (the majority of a pet's
immune system resides in the gut). We recommend the following for any
pets with autoimmune disease:
Immune Support Kit
The Immune Support Kit contains three tasteless liquid formulas: Silver Immune Support, NotaSAN and QuentaSAN drops. These three remedies deliver fast relief for your pet's autoimmune symptoms (e.g. stomatitis, or Pillow Paw) and are easy to administer. They help modulate and support your pet's natural immune response rather than overstimulating it the way many supplements can.
Save on the package price when you buy all three natural remedies together.
- Silver Immune Support For Pets is an all-natural, easy to use remedy to help your pet recover from bacterial infection or viral flare-up.
- NotaSAN Drops is a natural homeopathic formula that controls harmful bacteria and restores gut flora balance, improving immune function. Can be used safely long-term to prevent recurrences. Works best when used in conjunction with QuentaSAN Drops.
- QuentaSAN Drops is a natural homeopathic formula that helps to restore gut flora balance, fights viruses, improves immune function. Many cats that have chronic bacterial infections, such as upper respiratory conditions, have underlying viral infections. Use along with NotaSAN for best results.
Immune Harmony modulates the Immune System--very well tolerated by both cats and dogs, #1 choice for autoimmune
Power Probiotic gently supports digestive health and repopulates good bacteria which supports immune health without overstimulation)
Colostrum For Pets
especially important if the pet had worms or parasites such as Giardia
as a puppy or kitten causing the intestinal lining (protects our immune
system) to be compromised at an early age
Amazing Omegas Highest quality fish oil that reduces inflammation and is essential for pets with autoimmune disease