Is Your Dog Losing Hair?
Alopecia, the medical term for hair loss in dogs, can occur for a variety of reasons ranging from hormonal imbalances to allergies. With patience, a proper diagnosis and a holistic approach to treatment (combining natural dog hair loss treatment with conventional veterinary care), most hair loss in dogs can be reversed. After your veterinarian identifies the underlying cause of your dog's hair loss, implementing dietary changes and natural remedies can halt further hair loss and promote the growth of a healthy, shiny coat.
5 Common Reasons For Hair Loss In Dogs
1) Parasites - Infestations of parasites such as fleas, ticks and mites can be the reason your dog is losing hair. The hair loss might occur around the ears, eyes, abdomen, tail or back end, causing inflammation, itching and redness. Parasites can cause a thin coat due to scratching and irritation of the skin. Dogs may also develop flea allergies in which the pet develops an allergic reaction to the flea bite. Working with your veterinarian to get rid of the parasites is the first step. Once fleas and parasites have been ruled out, the next step is to look at your dog's diet and identify possible allergens. By feeding a high-moisture diet and adding Amazing Omegas and Power Probiotic, you can help heal and soothe your dog's inflammation and irritation.
2) Allergies - Food and environmental allergies can cause dogs to itch and scratch, causing bald spots and hair loss. Your dog may have red, gooey areas (referred to as hot spots) as a result of the constant chewing and licking. Hot spots can spread rapidly so it's important to see a veterinarian for treatment. Vets have medicated powders which can quickly get the hot spots under control. These medications typically include antibiotics and steroids. While this can provide fast short-term relief, it's essential to prevent future flareups by changing your dog's diet and using a few home remedies to reduce allergic itching and scratching. AllerEaze for Pets, Power Probiotic, Olive Leaf Extract For Pets, K9 Yeast Defense and NOT Drops can help provide fast relief from the symptoms of allergies and help reduce allergy-induced hair loss.
3) Dry Skin - Dogs can lose hair due to dry skin as a result of lacking essential fatty acids in their diet. Many dogs with dry coats also have white, dandruff flakes and are especially itchy.
Fish and fish oil can give dogs a beautiful, lustrous coat by moisturizing a dry coat from the inside out. Fish oil contains essential fatty acids called Omega 3s. Dogs that have hair loss and dry skin often lack Omega 3 fatty acids. Animals cannot make essential fatty acids (EFAs), they must come from their diet. Many pet foods are lacking in Omega-3 fatty acids. EFAs are scientifically proven to be helpful for allergies and skin problems. While topical rinses and medicated shampoos may help somewhat, giving your dog
a highly therapeutic fish oil along with a grain-free, low carbohydrate diet can improve a dog's coat quickly.
4) Fungal or Bacterial Infections - Bacterial and fungal infections are common in pets and dogs may have both at the same time. The most common type of fungal infection is yeast (candida). Bacterial skin infections usually occur when your pet scratches and breaks the skin, which allows bacteria to infect the wound. Many pets develop yeast infections after using antibiotics for a bacterial infection, so treating both simultaneously is often an effective strategy. Dogs with yeast infections on the skin typically have chronic ear infections too.
"I had tried several other brands of fish oil for my Yorkie, Tango. His coat continued to look dry while using the other brands. I started using Amazing Omegas and seriously within a few DAYS I noticed a new sheen and luster on his coat. I believe that the difference is the uncompromising quality of this product. The first time I opened the bottle, I immediately noticed the fresh smell of this oil. I also added Power Probiotic to Tango's regimen. Tango’s groomer, who is an expert on canine coats, comments regularly about the health and beauty of his coat. We love these products and would highly recommend them."
With bacterial or fungal infections, you may notice your dog scratching, biting, shaking its head, licking the genitals constantly, or you may smell a cheesy odor (even after a bath). When dogs continue to lick and chew in one area, it can cause hot spots and open wounds. These areas lose hair and become red and inflamed. Hot spots are painful and can spread quickly, so if you notice one, please take your pet to the veterinarian right away. In most cases, your veterinarian will need to prescribe antibiotics to kill the bacteria. It is important to use immune support supplements along with antibiotics. Using Power Probiotic for Pets, K9 Yeast Defense, Olive Leaf Extract For Pets and NOT Anti-Infection Drops can help to promote the growth of friendly bacteria while helping to prevent future infections.
5) Endocrine Conditions Endocrine conditions can cause skin and hair changes in dogs. Hypothyroidism is a hormone imbalance where the thyroid produces too little thyroxine, the hormone that controls metabolism. It can cause a dog's hair to be dry, brittle and with patches of fur missing as well. In Cushing’s disease the adrenal glands produce too much cortisol, the fight-or-flight hormone, that regulates stress and appetite. Cushing's dogs often have hair loss on their tail and back end. Alopecia, also called black skin disease, is a sex hormone imbalance that causes symmetrical hair loss. Dogs with these endocrine disorders may have thinning skin and skin discoloration. Hormonal conditions can be very serious, and it's essential to work with your veterinarian to determine the best course of action. Once a diagnosis is made, supportive supplements such as Immune Harmony for Pets, the Immune Support Kit, Power Probiotic, Amazing Omegas and Canine Cushing's Support can be helpful.
Maestro - French Bulldog Finds Relief From Scratching and Hair Loss
"Our sweet French Bulldog Maestro was scratching his face and tearing his fur out. He is very sensitive and we didn't want to keep giving him prescription medications. Benadryl would just knock him out and we wanted our doggie to feel better. We tried several diet changes and a few itch-relief products from other brands but nothing worked. Then, we found Ask Ariel. I am happy to report that after using the Amazing Omegas, K9 Digestive Enzymes, Power Probiotic, K9 Yeast Defense, ProAller and QUENT Drops, Maestro started to get better right away. He loves the Amazing Omegas on his food! A patch of fur that he kept chewing on is finally growing back. Thanks for the diet tips too. We are very happy we found Ask Ariel."
Home Remedies For Hair Loss In Dogs
Amazing Omegas - Amazing Omegas for Pets is absolutely the best fish oil available. It is a researched-backed, concentrated therapeutic fish oil providing a powerhouse of omega-3 fatty acids in just a few drops. These omega-3 fatty acids can give your dog a lustrous, beautiful coat, help reduce inflammation and fight allergies. Many fish oil products for pets do not contain bioavailable omega-3 fatty acids, so pet owners may use them without success. The word "bioavailable" means that the fish oil is in its natural state - in a form that your pet's body can recognize as food and metabolize. Amazing Omegas contains fish oil, naturally processed from anchovies, sardines and mackerel making it highly bioavailable for best absorption. It’s packed in glass bottles to prevent leakage of toxins from plastic into the oil. Amazing Omegas is recommended by veterinarians nationwide because of its high purity and quality.
AllerEaze - All-natural AllerEaze is a leading allergy product for dogs. AllerEaze contains scientifically proven quercetin and nettles to provide natural relief for your dog. Quercetin suppresses the histamine reaction and blocks inflammatory enzymes to reduce swelling, scratching and itching. Many holistic veterinarians refer to it as a natural “Benadryl.” Nettle leaf has anti-inflammatory properties that help with allergies. AllerEaze helps take the edge off allergy symptoms such as itchy, scratching, redness and inflammation. It is a safe, natural alternative to Apoquel. AllerEaze can help keep your dog comfortable during allergy season. This natural allergy treatment for dogs works best when combined with Power Probiotic.
K9 Yeast Defense - Many dogs constantly itch due to an underlying yeast condition. If your dog has had ear infections or a smelly odor, especially on the paws, then use K9 Yeast Defense in conjunction with allergy products. K9 Yeast Defense contains natural antifungal ingredients such as pau d'arco, caprylic acid and oregano oil to help stop doggie odor, chronic ear infections, licking at the groin and scratching at the ears. Allergies, food, antibiotics and steroid use can all contribute to yeast infections in dogs. Our K9 Yeast Defense is a safe way to get rid of yeast infection symptoms and support your pet's immune system. Since yeast and bacterial growth go hand in hand, it's best to use K9 Yeast Defense along with NOT Drops and Power Probiotic.
Power Probiotic - Controlling allergies starts with good digestion. The skin is an elimination organ, and so using Power Probiotic is your pet's first defense toward building a strong immune system. Power Probiotic is the best probiotic for pets! Backed by scientific research, this powerful multi-strain probiotic supplement promotes the growth of good, friendly bacteria which boosts your pet's immune system. Because it fights infection and yeast, Power Probiotic is essential if your pet has taken antibiotics. Research shows probiotic supplements can reduce skin sensitivity and promote the balance of healthy bacteria on the skin to reduce inflammation. Safe, pure and natural. It is especially helpful for dogs with skin problems, yeast and allergies. Many pets love the taste of the Power Probiotic!
Olive Leaf Extract - Olive Leaf Extract for Pets is a powerful antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal supplement that supports a healthy immune system. It is a single ingredient formula that is helpful for dogs with allergies, ear infections, skin infections and yeast overgrowth (tear-stained eyes, ear discharge, cheesy smell, licking groin, yeasty paws). Olive Leaf Extract is a natural alternative to antibiotics prescribed for skin conditions. Its active ingredient, oleuropein, helps fight against pathogens while causing no harm to healthy bacteria in your dog's gut and mucous membranes. Olive Leaf Extract has antioxidant properties that enable it to help relieve the irritation and inflammation caused by skin infections.
NOT Anti-Infection Drops - This is a best seller! NOT Drops act like a natural antibiotic formula for dogs. It’s a natural remedy for fighting infections and reducing doggie odor and redness. These tasteless drops provide a balancing effect on the immune system by controlling harmful bacteria and reducing inflammation. It is very helpful for any type of infection. NOT Drops are very helpful if your pet has been on antibiotics as it helps to prevent the recurrence of an infection. Works well in combination with ProAller and/or K9 Yeast Defense.