Home Remedies For Cat and Dog Dandruff and Dry, Flaky Skin
How To Get Rid Of Dog and Cat Dandruff
Dandruff may seem like a harmless condition but it is more than cosmetic. White flakes on your cat or dog's fur are often accompanied by other skin problems such as itching, scratching, hair loss and red bumps. The white flakes on your cat or dog's fur can be caused by a variety of reasons and can easily be treated using a few home remedies for cat and dog dandruff as well as making diet changes. Dry, itchy skin, dandruff, hair loss and skin infections are common in both cats and dogs. Allergies, dry skin and endocrine disorders are just a few of the reasons for cat and dog dandruff. Read on to see some of the causes of dog and cat skin problems and our holistic treatment options.
Common Causes of Pet Dandruff
- Allergies - Pets can have both food and environmental allergies. Common environmental allergens may include dust, pollen and household cleaners. Food allergens, such as certain meat proteins, corn, milk products, soy or gluten (found in wheat, barley, spelt and other grains) can cause red bumps, hot spots and increased itching and scratching. Dandruff is an unsightly side effect but can be remedied by avoiding the offending allergens. Supplements such as AllerEaze, K9 Yeast Defense in combination with Power Probiotic can help to reduce allergy symptoms and dandruff. Making diet changes along with administering our supplements for allergies and dandruff can help your pet immensely.
- Dehydration - When a dog or cat's skin becomes dehydrated, it can experience symptoms of dandruff. Healthy skin is dependent on water and natural oils to maintain its strength and elasticity. Not getting enough water can lead to itchy, dry skin. Skin dehydration can be exacerbated by drying environments, such as heated or air-conditioned rooms. Increasing the moisture in the air with a humidifier can help alleviate the dryness. If your pet has dandruff, encourage it to drink more water by placing extra water bowls around the house. These simple, natural remedies for dry skin on dogs and cats can be easy ways to help your pet.
- Dry Skin - One of the most common causes of dry skin in pets is over-bathing. It is important when bathing your pet to use shampoos specifically for its skin, as the pH of dog or cat skin is different than the pH of human skin. Brushing and grooming your cat or dog can help with dry skin by spreading natural oils and removing dead skin. Another natural remedy for dry skin on dogs and cats is omega-3s. Omega-3 fatty acids are essential for healthy skin and coat, and many commercial pet foods are lacking in them. Amazing Omegas is a powerhouse of omega-3 fatty acids that will give your pet soft, supple skin and the most lustrous, gorgeous coat! Backed by research, it is the best fish oil for dogs and cats, providing help for itching, scratching, dandruff, skin problems, atopic dermatitis and seborrhea. A high dose of eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) improves pruritus (unexplained itchy skin) and alopecia.* Amazing Omegas, a dog and cat itchy skin home remedy, helps to strengthen the cell membranes in the skin and reduces skin inflammation.
*Reference: Veterinary Dermatology September 1994. Double‐blinded Crossover Study with Marine Oil Supplementation Containing High‐dose Eicosapentaenoic Acid for the Treatment of Canine Pruritic Skin Disease.
- Skin Infections - All dogs and cats have germs like staph and strep on their skin as normal inhabitants. Typically, these germs only become a problem when the pet has an allergy or skin problem that allows an infection to set in. All types of fungal, bacterial or parasitic infections can cause increased dandruff in dogs and cats. Pets with skin folds, both genetic and due to obesity, can proliferate yeast and fungal spread due to moist and dark conditions. Skin infections dry out the skin, causing flakiness and dandruff, and disrupt the balance of good and bad bacteria, which can weaken the skin's natural protective barrier. Our dog and cat skin problems home remedies can be used along with skin medications prescribed by your veterinarian. NotaSAN, K9 Yeast Defense and Power Probiotic can help to prevent recurring skin infections and dandruff.
- Medical Conditions - Some endocrine disorders, such as canine hypothyroidism and feline hyperthyroidism, can inhibit skin cell turnover and cause dandruff and skin problems. It is important to see your veterinarian to determine the cause of your pet's dandruff, as some conditions will require medical treatment. Identifying the root cause is essential to knowing how to get rid of dog and cat dandruff.
Symptoms of Cat and Dog Dandruff
- White flakes and dry, flaky skin
- Itching and scratching
- Developing red bumps, hot spots, pimples or scabs
- Smelly odor
- Patches of hair loss
- Skin infections
Similar Health Conditions
- "Walking Dandruff" in Cats - Cheyletiellosis, or walking dandruff, is a mite infection that mainly affects cats. The mites "walk" beneath the keratin layer of the skin and leave a dusty surface that resembles dandruff. A pet will react like it has a flea problem, but the skin irritation can lead to infection. These skin mites are contagious, and your pet should be seen by a veterinarian. The Immune Support Kit or NotaSAN can be used during and after treatment to boost the immune system and prevent reinfection.
- Sebaceous Adenitis (SA) in Dogs and Cats - Sebaceous adenitis is a skin disease that causes dandruff, scaling, skin crusting and alopecia (hair loss). It is a dermatologic autoimmune condition that attacks the sebaceous glands and ducts, slowing sebum production. Sebum is an antimicrobial secretion that lubricates the skin and promotes hair growth. Pets with SA will have dry, damaged coats. The coat texture and color can change due to damage (like soft fur turning wiry). Many affected pets have ongoing dandruff as well as bacterial and yeast infections. Natural remedies for dry skin on dogs, such as Amazing Omegas, can help to make skin more resilient to trauma and skin infections. Immune Harmony is the #1 choice for pets with autoimmune conditions and repeat infections. Over time, it helps to balance immune function.
- Canine Seborrhea - Seborrhea or seborrheic dermatitis is a skin disorder in dogs that causes the sebaceous glands to overproduce sebum, which results in dandruff and scaly, flaky, itchy and red skin. The disorder also causes the body to produce an oily or greasy substance that can build up in areas with skin folds, like the ears, belly, armpits, elbows and ankles, creating a yeasty "doggy odor." There are two forms of seborrhea - dry (sicca) and oily (oleosa) - but most dogs have a combination of both. Itching and scratching at the affected areas can lead to hair loss, bleeding and crusting. It is common for dogs with seborrhea to get secondary bacterial or yeast infections. Diet changes are essential for dogs with seborrhea, as certain foods can fuel bacterial and yeast overgrowth. K9 Yeast Defense, Power Probiotic and NotaSAN can help prevent the cycle of recurrent skin infections.
Natural Remedies for Cat and Dog Dandruff
While topical rinses and dandruff shampoo may help somewhat, you need to help your dog or cat from the inside out. With our extensive experience helping pets with skin problems, we know how to treat cat or dog dandruff naturally. The first step is to give your pet a highly therapeutic fish oil along with a grain-free, low-carbohydrate diet. Fish oil contains essential fatty acids called omega-3s. Pets that have dandruff and dry skin often are fed diets that lack omega-3 fatty acids. They cannot be produced by the body; they must come from diet. Omega-3 fatty acids can be added to your pet's diet by including fish in its meals or by supplementing with fish oil.
There are MANY fish oil products for pets, but unfortunately, most do not contain bioavailable omega-3 fatty acids and so pet owners may use them without much success. The word "bioavailable" means that the fish oil is in its natural state in a form that your pet's body can recognize as food and metabolize. Amazing Omegas contains fish oil, naturally processed from anchovies, sardines and mackerel, so it is highly bioavailable for best absorption. It is recommended by veterinarians nationwide because of its high purity and quality.
Amazing Omegas for Pets - Amazing Omegas is a researched-backed, concentrated therapeutic fish oil providing a powerhouse of omega-3 fatty acids in just a few drops. These omega-3 fatty acids can give your dog or cat a lustrous, beautiful coat and help eliminate dandruff. Amazing Omegas, unlike most pet fish oils, is packed in glass bottles to prevent toxins from the plastic leaching into the oil.
Power Probiotic - Power Probiotic is essential for your pet's good health. It supports digestion, enhances overall immunity, reduces allergy symptoms and improves skin and coat. A healthy GI tract (proper balance of good and bad bacteria) allows your pet to more effectively absorb vitamins, minerals and amino acids, which helps your pet have healthier skin and a more lustrous coat.
NotaSAN Drops or Capsules - NotaSAN is a natural homeopathic remedy that fights infections and is very helpful for improving allergy symptoms, scratching and itching. It controls harmful bacteria, thereby improving immune function. It can be used safely long term to control doggie odor and help prevent skin infections.
ProAller - ProAller is especially helpful for environmental allergies. It controls allergies, reduces itching and, when combined with NotaSAN Drops or Capsules, can reduce odor and red spots.
The Best Diet for a Dandruff-Free Pet
Cats and dogs with dandruff and allergies can benefit from a hypoallergenic, low-carbohydrate diet. When pets are allergic, the allergic response can produce inflammation on their skin, causing itching, flaking and redness. Look at your pet's food label -- a good brand will include an essential fatty acid such as fish oil or flax oil high up in the list of ingredients. Our supplements have been recommended by veterinarians since 2005. When ordering supplements, please be sure to include the food you are feeding your pet along with health issues directly on the order form at checkout. We will include FREE diet suggestions on the packing slip that comes with your order.
“I had tried several other brands of fish oil for my Yorkie, Tango. His coat continued to look dry while using the other brands. I started using Amazing Omegas and seriously within a few DAYS I noticed a new sheen and luster on his coat. I believe that the difference is the uncompromising quality of this product. The first time I opened the bottle, I immediately noticed the fresh smell of this oil. Tango’s groomer, who is an expert on canine coats, comments regularly about the health and beauty of his coat. We love this product and would highly recommend it.” - Barber Family, California
Need Help? Please email us at Support@AskAriel.com
We understand how challenging dandruff can be for you and your pets. We are here to help you learn how to treat cat and dog dandruff as well as other skin problems. If you need information about a particular pet health condition and the products that can help, please email us for assistance. We do ask for your understanding, however, as we cannot provide any consultative advice due to veterinary regulations that require a physical exam.