Natural Supplements For Cat Arthritis
Arthritis in cats can cause pain and inflammation in their joints, leading to limping and reduced activity. Arthritis can make it challenging for cats to engage in their usual activities such as jumping, running or climbing. As a result, cats with arthritis may exhibit limping in response to the discomfort in their joints.
Natural supplements for cat arthritis provide targeted support in reducing pain, inflammation, and improving joint health. Supplements such as CBD oil, collagen, and omega-3 fatty acids offer natural solutions that can enhance your cat's overall well-being, ensuring a more comfortable and active life despite arthritis.
Ultra-Flex Collagen for Pets – A natural “whole-food” cat joint care supplement that strengthens cartilage, rebuilds connective tissue and supports joint health. Contains food-sourced ingredients and enzymes. The key ingredient is NEM® brand eggshell membrane, a food source of glucosamine and chondroitin. It contains key bioactive proteins such as collagen, which have been shown to support joint comfort and flexibility. Excellent choice for cats that are allergic to glucosamine or that are picky about herbal cat joint supplements. Backed by research. Relieves joint pain and discomfort, strengthens and repairs. Tasteless powder provides allows for an easy once-a-day administration. One of the best cat supplements for arthritis.
Happy Paws Organic Hemp Extract For Cats - Happy Paws is the best CBD oil for arthritis in cats. These easy-to-use drops are an excellent anti-inflammatory for cats. Animal studies have suggested that hemp extract exhibits pain-relieving and anti-inflammatory properties. This CBD oil can help cat limping, arthritis and pain. This arthritis pain treatment helps to promote a sense of calm. Professional veterinary strength. It contains simple ingredients: each bottle contains 550mg of full spectrum hemp extract in an unflavored all-natural coconut oil base. 100% organic. It’s rigorously tested for potency and purity. Made in the USA.
PureOcean Wild Omegas For Cats - PureOcean Wild Omegas are made from wild-caught sardines, anchovies & mackerel. They have a natural fishy flavor and many cats love the taste. Omega-3 fatty acids can help reduce inflammation and may provide relief from pain, stiffness, discomfort, and reduced mobility. Omega-3 fatty acids can promote overall joint health by supporting the maintenance of cartilage and joint fluid. This can help slow down the progression of arthritis and preserve joint function. Excellent value. One bottle lasts 4-6 months for cats.
Why Give Your Cat Arthritis Supplements?
Arthritis is a common condition that can affect cats. About 90% of cats over age 12 suffer from arthritis. While cat limping is an obvious symptom, many of the signs of arthritis in cats are subtle and owners may not know that their cat is in pain. Cats with arthritis may display behavioral changes such as reduced mobility (reluctance to jump, run or climb stairs), decreased activity (sleeping more, avoiding play, hiding), changes in mood (may be more aggressive, irritable, anxious/restless, cry when touched) and changes in hygiene (may not be able to groom themselves or have trouble using the litter box). A sedentary lifestyle and obesity are huge factors in feline arthritis.
Cat supplements for arthritis may help to alleviate the uncomfortable signs of arthritis in cats and improve joint health. Here are some reasons to give your cat arthritis supplements:
- Reduce inflammation. Arthritis causes joint inflammation and supplements with anti-inflammatory properties may help to reduce the inflammation and associated pain.
- Support joint health. Supplements containing collagen promote cartilage repair and regeneration. Can help to aid in recovery from injuries, such as limping and cat ACL tears.
- Improve mobility. Arthritis can cause stiffness and reduced mobility in cats. Cat joint care supplements may help to improve joint flexibility and range of motion.
- Natural alternative to medication. Some supplements can be a natural alternative or companion to medications for cat arthritis. They may have fewer side effects and most can be used in conjunction with prescription medications.
Arthritis - While more associated with dogs, arthritis can affect cats too, especially in their later years. This can cause joint pain and stiffness that can result in limping.
Soft Tissue Injuries - Cats can suffer from sprained or strained muscles or ligaments, often due to sudden movements or jumps.
Pillow Paw (Pododermatitis) - This condition is more common in cats and can result in swollen, sensitive paws. Limping is a common response to the pain and sensitivity caused by the inflammation in the paw pads.
What Can I Give My Cat for Arthritis Pain?
Natural cat arthritis supplements contain ingredients like collagen, NEM (natural eggshell membrane), and hemp extract. At Ask Ariel, we use only the finest, human-grade ingredients so that you can feel confident about what you are giving your kitty. These ingredients have been extensively studied in human and animal research.
When choosing cat supplements for arthritis, it's important to use products that are specifically formulated for cats. Additionally, it is also important to consult with your veterinarian to determine which cat joint supplements are appropriate based on your cat's individual needs and health history.
- NEM (natural eggshell membrane) Collagen - A safe, all-natural whole-food source containing three varieties of collagen, glycosaminoglycans (GAGs) such as chondroitin sulfate, glucosamine, hyaluronic acid, and enzymes, which support joints and connective tissue. Collagen is a protein found in tissues and joints. It is a key component of the cartilage that cushions and supports the joints. Collagen contains anti-inflammatory compounds that may help to reduce inflammation in the joints. Collagen may help to reduce pain associated with arthritis by promoting joint health and reducing inflammation. Helps to repair the cartilage and connective tissue on a cellular level. Recent scientific studies  show that collagen from NEM® eggshell membrane is a viable therapeutic option for the management of the pain and loss of function associated with suboptimal joint function in pets. It's important to use a high-quality collagen supplement that is specifically formulated for pets, as some human collagen products may contain ingredients that are harmful to cats.
- CBD Oil Hemp Extract - A natural supplement for managing pain and inflammation in cats. CBD oil has anti-inflammatory properties that may help to reduce inflammation in the joints and support a healthy immune response. Hemp extract may help to reduce pain associated with arthritis, which can improve your cat's mobility and quality of life. Contains plant compounds such as terpenes and phenols that can help improve mobility and ease osteoarthritis pain . CBD oil is generally considered safe for cats and there are fewer potential side effects compared to prescription medications. Non-psychoactive CBD oil does not contain THC, the psychoactive compound found in marijuana, so it will not cause your cat to feel "high" or have any psychoactive effects. CBD oil can be added to your cat's food or administered directly into their mouth, making it a convenient supplement to use. It's important to use high-quality CBD oil products that are specifically formulated for pets, as some human CBD products may contain ingredients that are harmful to cats.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids - Omega-3s, found in fish and fish oil, decrease inflammation in your cat's joints. This can be helpful for senior cats and cats with arthritis. An article published in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association shows that omega-3 fatty acids contain anti-inflammatory properties that are therapeutic for arthritis and joint pain . Cats taking a high-quality fish oil supplement display increased mobility and activity.
- Glucosamine and Chondroitin - Glucosamine and chondroitin are building blocks for repairing and rebuilding cartilage and synovial fluid. Cartilage provides cushioning for the joints and synovial fluid reduces friction between the cartilage. Glucosamine supports the production of collagen, which is an essential component of cartilage. As cats age, their cartilage tends to wear thin because their bodies produce less glucosamine. Chondroitin helps prevent deterioration in the joints and may provide pain relief.
- SAMe (S-adenosyl-L-methionine) - SAMe is a powerful antioxidant widely prescribed by veterinarians for cats with osteoarthritis. It's promotes cellular growth repair and helps to protect the cartilage and joints. Very important to use if your cat has been on prescription pain medications or NSAIDs.
- Green-Lipped Mussel - Green-lipped mussels contain omega 3 fatty acids, vitamins, minerals as well as glucosamine and chondroitin. They are a natural anti-inflammatory, help strengthen bones and can reduce signs of arthritis in cats.