Immune Support For Dogs and Cats
Are you wondering how to boost a dog or cat's immune system? Are you looking for a natural alternative to antibiotics? Tired of giving your pet prescription medications over and over for the same infection that keeps coming back? Antibiotics are essential when your pet is suffering with a bacterial infection, but they can lose effectiveness over time, and worse, they can encourage the growth of “superbugs.” Pets can go through a vicious cycle of antibiotic and steroid use that can weaken their immune system. However, there is hope and there is help. Whether your pet needs cat and dog immune system vitamins or immune balancing (calming an overactive immune system), Ask Ariel has the immune supplements that can help your pet get better and help maintain a healthy immune system long term!
The Vicious Cycle of Antibiotic Use
Does your pet finish one round of antibiotics and then need another? Using antibiotics can turn into a vicious cycle. The main reason that dogs and cats are prescribed antibiotics is for the treatment of bacterial infections, such as urinary tract, respiratory, gastrointestinal, ear and skin infections. Antibiotics for pets work by attacking the bacteria that is causing the infection. But antibiotics also can destroy the healthy bacteria (part of your pet’s immune system) needed to fight infections and prevent them from recurring. This can set up a cycle of reinfection, because every time the medication is stopped, the bad bacteria regrow faster than the good bacteria.
Side Effects of Antibiotics in Cats and Dogs
Antibiotics can have a wide range of side effects. The most common is gastrointestinal upset, which can manifest as vomiting, diarrhea and poor appetite. Other potential side effects are allergic reactions (skin irritations such as rashes or hives) or a secondary yeast infection. Yeast is a natural part of your pet’s intestinal flora and keeps other bacteria and parasites in balance, but antibiotic use and a weakened immune system can lead to a yeast overgrowth. A powerful probiotic is essential to maintain the proper balance of good bacteria and flora in the gut. Power Probiotic is the best probiotic for dogs and cats. It helps to prevent recurrent infections and provides powerful immune support for dogs and cats.
Superbugs From Continued Antibiotic Use
Continued use of antibiotics can lead to a pet developing “superbugs” — bacterial organisms that have developed the ability to resist the antibiotics that were designed to kill them. The number of reported cases of superbugs is increasing in both cats and dogs. One such bacteria is methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus pseudintermedius (MRSP), similar to MRSA in humans. It is common for both dogs and humans to carry Staphylococcus on their skin, but the bacteria remains dormant unless there is an injury or infection. Once a resistant bacteria is suspected or identified, it is imperative to get a culture and sensitivity test to see what antibiotics may treat the infection. When a pet develops a superbug, it is a warning sign that a much more comprehensive approach to the pet’s immune system is warranted. A holistic approach with diet changes and a natural immune booster for dogs and cats can greatly help to finally recover from the infection.
Recurrent infections can present a real challenge from a conventional veterinary standpoint, as effective treatment options can become depleted. A recent veterinary study showed that almost 38% of all antibiotic prescriptions were given to dogs that showed no evidence of needing an antibiotic; some even tested negative for a bacterial infection. Antibiotic use and overuse can create uncomfortable side effects, an increase in recurrent infections and antibiotic resistance.* This is why using holistic immune support supplements for cats and dogs is essential.
*Reference: J Small Anim Pract. 2011 Jun 01; 52(6): 310–318. Therapeutic antibiotic use patterns in dogs.
Cat and Dog Immune System Booster Supplements
By using a few natural immune booster remedies, along with diet changes, you can help your pet finally recover from a chronic infection.
Immune Support Kit contains three tasteless liquid remedies: NotaSAN, QuentaSAN and Silver Immune Support. These supplements help to modulate and support your pet's natural immune response, rather than overstimulating it the way many supplements can. These tasteless drops make them an easy-to-administer immune booster for cats.
Save on the package price when you buy all three natural remedies together.
Power Probiotic - Power Probiotic is essential for your pet's good health. It supports digestion, helps fight infection and enhances overall immunity. It’s very important if your pet has taken any antibiotics. Power Probiotic is a natural immune booster for dogs and cats.
Olive Leaf Extract - A powerful antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal supplement for dogs & cats. Olive leaf is scientifically proven to support a healthy immune system.
Immune Harmony - Immune Harmony consists of a plant sterol formula that slowly builds your pet’s immune system to help it feel better over time.
- NOT Drops - Natural homeopathic drops that fight infection and support your pet's immune system. NotaSAN controls harmful bacteria and restores gut flora balance, improving digestive symptoms and immune function. This product is gentle, easy to administer and safe for long-term use.
- QUENT Drops - This product is excellent for fighting infections and viruses and providing immune support for dogs and cats. The ingredients target the lungs and upper respiratory system. Use QUENT along with NOT on alternating nights for best results.
- Silver Immune Support For Pets - Silver Immune Support is an all-natural, easy-to-use remedy to help your pet recover from a bacterial infection or viral flare-up. It is a broad-spectrum antimicrobial and well tolerated even by tiny and young pets.
Autoimmune Balancing Supplements
When a pet has an autoimmune condition, its immune system is already hyperstimulated. The goal of natural autoimmune balancing supplements is to rebalance and modulate a pet's immune system rather than overstimulate or suppress it. Dogs and cats with autoimmune diseases are frequently treated with steroid medications, which reduce inflammation and suppress the immune system. Typically, steroids are prescribed for short periods of time, but for serious autoimmune conditions, they may be prescribed on a long-term basis. The long-term use of steroids though can cause your dog or cat to become more vulnerable to bacterial infections.
Steroids destroy the natural bacteria your pet needs to maintain a healthy immune system and can have negative side effects, such as a ravenous appetite and unquenchable thirst, restlessness and pacing, and the development or worsening of infections. Long-term steroid use can also lead to Cushing’s disease. If your pet is on steroid medication, it is important to adhere to the directions provided by your veterinarian. Attempting to reduce your pet’s steroid medications yourself can have life-threatening consequences. Work with your veterinarian to introduce natural immune-balancing supplements along with your pet’s prescribed protocol.
Immune Harmony - The #1 choice for pets with autoimmune conditions, Immune Harmony contains a unique, patented blend of plant sterols and antioxidants. This natural immune support for dogs and cats helps to balance your pet's immune system and improves the inflammatory response associated with autoimmune disease. This plant sterol remedy for pets helps maintain immune balance by supporting a weak immune system (pets with chronic viruses and infections or cancer) as well as an overactive immune system (pets with autoimmune diseases).
Power Probiotic - Power Probiotic is the best probiotic for pets! A healthy balance of gut bacteria is vital to your pet’s welfare. For cats and dogs, the digestive tract is the most important (and largest) immune organ in their body. A proper ratio of good to bad bacteria is essential to ensure their immune system is working properly. Power Probiotic supports good digestion, helps fight infection and enhances overall immunity. Power Probiotic offers guaranteed potency and is easy to use, and pets love it. This cat and dog immune system booster is easy to administer, even for picky pets. Just open the capsules and sprinkle the powder on food!
Resveratrol for Dogs - Resveratrol seems to rebalance and support immune function without hyperstimulation, which can yield exciting results and increased energy. Resveratrol, a compound found in various plants, has anti-inflammatory and anticancer characteristics. It’s a unique, premium formulation that is highly purified and potent. A small amount can go a long way.
Immune Support for Puppies & Kittens
When a puppy or kitten is born, it leaves the safe, protected confines of its mother and enters a world full of bugs and germs. It can take up to a year for the immune system to fully mature. This makes puppies and kittens much more vulnerable to infections and diseases. Power Probiotic and the Immune Support Kit are excellent vitamins for puppies' immune systems. These products help to fight infection and enhance overall immunity.
It's gross, but almost all puppies and kittens will have intestinal worms by the time they are two weeks old. They most often get them from their mother during birth or through her milk. The most common types of intestinal parasites in kittens and puppies are hookworms, roundworms and tapeworms. It's best to get a stool sample done at your vet's office and use the proper medication to kill off the worms. It is extremely important that you provide extra immune system support to your puppy or kitten to help prevent the worms from returning and to rebalance the natural intestinal flora. Use Power Probiotic
to replenish the friendly bacteria killed off by the worm or parasite medication and restore a normal microbiome.
Upper respiratory infections are also quite common in kittens. These infections can have an underlying viral component, making them hard to resolve. Symptoms include nasal discharge, sneezing, congestion, fever, squinting or rubbing of the eyes and lack of appetite. Upper respiratory infections can recur and can become a chronic problem. Many adult cats suffer with chronic URIs and viruses. Silver Immune Support is a broad-spectrum antimicrobial that is well tolerated even by tiny pets. It helps the pet fight viruses and bacterial infections and provides much-needed immune support for immature systems.
Canine parvovirus (commonly called parvo) is a highly contagious viral disease that can be life-threatening for puppies. Parvo ravages the gastrointestinal tract and causes severe diarrhea and dehydration, so intravenous fluids and a hospital stay are generally necessary for recovery. The treatment also focuses on relieving the symptoms and preventing a secondary bacterial infection. The immune system will be in a weakened state for quite some time, making your puppy more susceptible to other illnesses.
Canine oral papillomas or viral warts are also quite common in young puppies with immature immune systems. Viral warts are small benign tumors that appear as a bump on the lips, gums, or mouth of dogs (usually under age 2). They are caused by the papilloma virus and are contagious from dog to dog (but not dog to human) by direct contact (greeting each other, sharing toys, or eating/drinking from the same bowl). Olive Leaf Extract For Pets is a natural antiviral supplement that helps to fight off viral infections & strengthens your pet’s immune system. This herbal supplement is formulated for puppies over 6 pounds.
What Is Your Pet's Immune System?
Did you know that the skin, stomach, saliva and tears are all part of the immune system? The skin provides a waterproof protective barrier, stomach acid destroys bacteria and viruses, and saliva and tears both contain natural antibacterial enzymes. The immune system is an elaborate network of cells and organs that help to defend your dog or cat from any bacteria, viruses, toxins, parasites and foreign bodies (pollen, dirt, dust) that try to invade its body. Since most of the immune system is located in the digestive tract, it is very important to maintain a delicate symbiotic balance between good (found in probiotics) and bad bacteria in this "microbiome." When the microbiome is out of alignment, dysbiosis can allow your pet to become more vulnerable to illness, which can lead to all kinds of problems, like diarrhea, constipation, skin irritation and urinary tract issues.
Natural probiotic supplements can help promote the growth of good, friendly bacteria to support a healthy digestive and immune system. Power Probiotic will repopulate your pet's microbiome with beneficial bacteria to counter the effects of bad bacteria and yeast. By proactively including a probiotic in your pet's diet, you can help maintain a healthy digestive and immune response. Power Probiotic provides powerful immune support for pets of any age - puppies, kittens and seniors!
Diet, genetics, exposure and allergies can also lead to weakened immune systems. Long-term immunodeficiency can lead to chronic inflammation, which can in turn lead to serious conditions such as diabetes, arthritis, asthma and cancer.
On the other hand, an overactive immune system can lead to autoimmune diseases such as inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), stomatitis, pillow foot, lupus, Addison’s disease and feline hyperthyroidism. Autoimmune diseases in dogs and cats occur when the immune system mistakenly attacks the body’s healthy cells. With these conditions, the goal of holistic treatment is to maintain symbiosis in the microbiome and to calm and rebalance the immune response.
Lifestyle Tips To Support Your Pet's Immune System
- Ensure Proper Hygiene - Most cats and dogs will clean and groom themselves. This may also mean that they ingest some of the dirt and bacteria that they may have come in contact with. Some "bad" bacteria helps to keep the immune response in balance. Brushing your cat or dog's teeth can help prevent plaque and tartar buildup. Grooming and bathing your pup will help keep its skin and coat in tip-top shape. Bath time is also a great time to feel all over your pet's body to check for any lumps, bumps or skin conditions.
- Wash Your Pet's Bowls - Do you know what may be lurking in your pet’s food and water bowls? It is so easy to just refill your pet’s dishes without cleaning them. The surfaces can become slimy, and this is the perfect breeding ground for bacterial biofilm that can get into your pet’s immune system and contribute to microbial infections such as UTIs. A quick soapy, hot-water wash can prevent bacteria growth.
- Help Your Pet Maintain a Healthy Weight - By keeping your cat or dog active and at a healthy weight, you can add happy and healthy years to its life. Over half of the cats and dogs in the US are overweight. Being overweight increases the risk of arthritis, diabetes, heart disease, kidney disease and some cancers. You can help your dog lose weight by adding green vegetables to its meal in place of some of the dog food. Also, plan a regular time to take long, slow walks with your dog or to play mouse with your kitty. Click here for more healthy weight loss tips.
- Minimize Your Pet’s Stress - Cats and dogs are creatures of habit, and they develop routines based on their owner's schedule. It helps them feel safe and secure. The best way to minimize stress for your pet is to stick with regular feeding times and exercise times. If you have changes in your schedule, do what you can to have a neighbor or pet sitter check in on your pet or take it to a daycare facility. Some cats and dogs may also be sensitive to loud noises, new people or certain smells. You know your pet best - try to avoid situations where your pet seems uncomfortable.
- Feed an Anti-Inflammatory Diet - The majority of your pet's immune system resides in the digestive tract, so when a pet poorly digests food or eats food that creates inflammation, this affects its immune system. Many pets can have food allergies or intolerances and their owners may not know it. A pet may have symptoms, such as chronic ear infections, that are directly related to the allergens in the pet's diet, unbeknownst to the owner. If your dog or cat has chronic health issues such as skin or respiratory infections or digestive problems, diet changes can make a huge difference. It can be upsetting to discover that many pet foods (even the highest-quality, grain-free, premium diets) may contain ingredients that are affecting your pet’s immune system. By combining the best vitamins for immune support with an appropriate novel-protein, low-carbohydrate, anti-inflammatory diet, you can better support your pet's immune system. When ordering supplements, please be sure to include the food you are feeding your pet along with health issues directly on the order form at checkout. We will include FREE diet suggestions on the packing slip that comes with your order.
Please email us at Support@AskAriel.com. We understand how challenging immune system disorders can be for you and your pets. We are here to help you find the right immune support for your dog or cat. If you need information about a particular pet health condition and the products that can help, please email us for assistance. We do ask for your understanding, however, as we cannot provide any consultative advice due to veterinary regulations that require a physical exam.