Holistic Joint Supplements For Dogs
Natural joint supplements for dogs are recommended by veterinarians because they can help improve mobility, reduce inflammation and slow the progression of degenerative joint disease. Scientific research has shown that ingredients like glucosamine, collagen, NEM (natural eggshell membrane), curcumin, green-lipped mussel, hemp extract and boswellia can help relieve the painful symptoms of osteoarthritis in dogs as well as hip dysplasia.
Natural Joint Supplements for Dog Arthritis Treatment and Pain Relief
ArthroSoothe for Pets - ArthroSoothe is a comprehensive arthritis, hip and joint supplement for dogs. It contains 15 ingredients including: glucosamine, MSM, New Zealand green-lipped mussel (Perna canaliculus), NAC, collagen, CMO, curcumin, hyaluronic acid and more, that are scientifically proven to promote joint repair, increase mobility and reduce joint degeneration. It provides natural joint relief for dogs who are limping, have joint stiffness or have difficulty getting up or down the stairs due to old age, arthritis or hip and joint dysplasia. ArthroSoothe is also essential for young, active dogs as a preventative. All ingredients are third-party tested for purity and efficacy, making this one of the best natural joint supplements for dogs. Made in the USA.
K9 CurcuMagic - A scientifically proven, holistic anti-inflammatory for dogs that contains a patented combination of three curcuminoids: curcumin, bisdemethoxycurcumin and demethoxycurcumin; along with turmeric essential oil. These are the strongest, most protective and best-researched constituents of the herb turmeric that act as powerful free-radical scavengers. Curcumin is helpful in reducing inflammation, whether acute or chronic, caused by physical injury, joint wear and tear (as in osteoarthritis) and inflammatory conditions such as hip or elbow dysplasia. Helps to relieve pain and improve mobility. K9 CurcuMagic is especially bioavailable (pets can get the most benefit) because of the added essential oil, to improve absorption. This is why K9 CurcuMagic is more beneficial for pets than just sprinkling turmeric spice on your dog's food.
Amazing Omegas for Pets - The highest-quality purified fish oil available for pets. It is a powerhouse of omega-3 (EFA) nutrients. Omega-3 essential fatty acids contain anti-inflammatory properties that are therapeutic for arthritis and joint pain. Amazing Omegas is a highly purified fish oil made from sardines, anchovies and mackerel processed with minimal heat to preserve the oil in its natural state. Packed in glass bottles to prevent any chemicals from plastic leaching into the oil. Naturally processed, highly bioavailable, with all toxins and heavy metals carefully removed. Compare the nutrient panel of this premium pet fish oil to all other brands and see the difference.
Ultra-Flex Collagen for Pets – A natural “whole-food” supplement that strengthens cartilage, rebuilds connective tissue and supports joint health. Collagen is the "cellular glue" that is found in the bones, muscles, skin, tendons, and digestive tract of your pet. As pets age, natural collagen production declines and can lead to decreased elasticity and stability in the joints, muscles and connective tissue. Ultra-Flex Collagen For Pets contains NEM® brand eggshell membrane - a safe, all-natural whole-food source containing three varieties of collagen, glycosaminoglycans (GAGs) such as chondroitin sulfate, glucosamine, hyaluronic acid, and enzymes, which support joints and connective tissue. It contains key enzymes for enhanced absorption and bioavailability. Excellent choice for pets that are allergic to glucosamine or that are picky about herbal formulas. Great for small dogs.
Special SAMe – Special SAMe is scientifically proven to help arthritis, but it also has the added benefit of providing liver support. If you are giving your pet arthritis or pain medications, such as non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (i.e. Rimadyl, Metacam, Deramax), Special SAMe is a must, as it helps relieve pain and control the toxic effects of the medications. Many clients report that they were able to reduce the need for NSAIDs because of the benefits achieved from using Special SAMe. Special SAMe is recommended by veterinarians for arthritis and joint pain treatment. It promotes cellular growth repair and helps to protect the cartilage in the joints. We have seen dogs with hip dysplasia and chronic joint pain improve with Special SAMe when other supplements did not help.
Happy Paws Organic Hemp Extract For Dogs - An organic anti-inflammatory for dogs. These liquid drops help decrease pain and inflammation. Animal studies have suggested that hemp extract exhibits pain-relieving and anti-inflammatory properties. The World Health Organization (WHO) has found no adverse health effects from the use of hemp extract. Professional veterinary strength. Each 1oz bottle contains 550mg of full spectrum hemp extract in an unflavored all-natural coconut oil base. 100% organic. Made in the USA.
Resveratrol for Dogs – Natural antioxidant supplement that supports cartilage, disc and joint health. Resveratrol helps to reduce inflammation and relieve joint pain by preventing cartilage deterioration. This natural supplement may help reduce the need for non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Especially helpful for dogs with intervertebral disc disease (IVDD) as reseveratrol shows considerable potential for the repair and regeneration of intervertebral discs. Resveratrol for Dogs also has neuroprotective and energizing properties, making this supplement an excellent choice for senior dogs.
How Can Joint Supplements Help Dogs With Arthritis?
Getting your dog started early on holistic joint supplements will help support healthy joint function and keep your dog comfortable as they age. Dog joint pain supplements can help young, active dogs, big dogs, and especially senior dogs. Osteoarthritis in dogs is a degenerative condition caused by cartilage (the cushioning between the joints) weakening and wearing away over time. Symptoms may include difficulty getting up or down, lameness, stiffness, lack of interest in walks, playing or jumping. NSAIDs are anti-inflammatory medications frequently prescribed by veterinarians to relieve a dog's pain, but they can have harmful side effects. Joint supplements for dogs are safe for long-term use and can help to restore flexibility and mobility, reducing the need for prescription medications.
What Ingredients Should You Look For In A Dog Joint Supplement?
Natural dog arthritis supplements contain ingredients like glucosamine, collagen, NEM (natural eggshell membrane), curcumin, green-lipped mussel, hemp extract and boswellia. At Ask Ariel, we use only the finest, human-grade ingredients so that you can feel confident about what you are giving your pup. Many of these ingredients have been extensively studied in human and animal research.
- Glucosamine - Glucosamine is one of the most commonly found ingredients in joint supplements for dogs. Glucosamine is an important component of cartilage. When cartilage is damaged, the bones of the joint can rub against each other causing pain and inflammation. Glucosamine production slows as your dog ages. With age comes wear and tear, and the natural repair process slows. This can make your dog feel achy, painful and stiff. Supplementing with glucosamine sulfate can help to reduce pain and inflammation and can help to repair damaged cartilage. Animal and human studies  show that glucosamine sulfate can halt or reverse joint degeneration.
- NEM (natural eggshell membrane) - A safe, all-natural whole-food source containing three varieties of collagen, glycosaminoglycans (GAGs) such as chondroitin sulfate, glucosamine, hyaluronic acid, and enzymes, which support joints and connective tissue. Helps to repair the cartilage and connective tissue on a cellular level and helps to reduce inflammation and pain. Recent scientific studies  show that collagen from NEM® eggshell membrane is a viable therapeutic option for the management of the pain and loss of function associated with suboptimal joint function in dogs.
- Curcumin - Provides natural pain relief for dogs with arthritis. Acts as an anti-inflammatory to reduce swelling and improve mobility. Scientific research  shows that curcumin provides natural anti-inflammatory support for dogs with arthritis. A recent human study  showed that curcumin performed just as well as ibuprofen when treating arthritis pain. Ask Ariel’s K9 CurcuMagic is manufactured using BCM-95® which synergistically combines curcumin with the essential oils in turmeric to increase the absorption of curcumin in your dog more than a standard turmeric 95% supplement.
- New Zealand Green-Lipped Mussel (Perna canaliculus) - Green-lipped mussels contain natural glucosamine and are an effective ingredient for treating arthritis due to their anti-inflammatory properties. They also contain omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants to protect joints. GLM has gastroprotective qualities which can help to reduce stomach upset that may occur with NSAID use. Several research studies have been completed regarding the use of GLM in dogs with osteoarthritis. They show that green-lipped mussel supplementation has a positive effect on pain and function  and on the reduction of clinical signs of degenerative disc disease . At Ask Ariel, we use GlycoMarine™, a proprietary mussel extract made using a special extraction process and immediate freeze-drying to preserve the extract at its peak.
- Hemp Extract - Hemp oil can help reduce inflammation and support a healthy immune response. The ingredients in Happy Paws are being researched for their ability to provide natural joint relief for dogs. Anecdotal reports include reduced pain, inflammation and discomfort. Happy Paws is the best CBD oil for arthritis in dogs. It contains simple ingredients: organic hemp extract and coconut oil. It’s rigorously tested for potency and purity. Each 1oz bottle contains 550mg of full spectrum hemp extract in an unflavored all-natural coconut oil base. Contains plant compounds such as terpenes and phenols that can help improve mobility and ease osteoarthritis pain .
- Boswellia - Helps to promote a healthy inflammatory response. Boswellic acids are obtained from the gum resin of the B. serrata tree. The herbal extract contains phytochemicals that inhibit inflammation. Research shows that Boswellia can provide relief for symptoms of canine osteoarthritic disease .
Common Arthritis, Hip & Joint Conditions In Dogs
- ACL Tears & CCL Tears - The most common knee injury in dogs is a torn or ruptured cranial cruciate ligament, or CCL – similar to the ACL in humans. This ligament connects the back of the femur (the bone above the knee) with the front of the tibia (the bone below the knee) and is always load-bearing. The most common signs include: sudden pain of the hind limb, swelling of the knee, instability of the knee or hind limb weakness. Joint supplements for dogs can help to rebuild and repair the ligaments, increasing your pet’s mobility and decreasing the risk of reinjury.
- Hip and Elbow Dysplasia - Dysplasia is an abnormal formation of the hip or elbow socket. The bone does not fit into the socket properly, so it can result in pain, inflammation and irritation from the rubbing. This condition can occur at any age, but it is more common in older dogs and related to the aging process. Causes of hip dysplasia are primarily congenital. It is commonly found in larger-breed dogs such as German shepherds, Labrador retrievers, English bulldogs, and golden retrievers. Elbow dysplasia is characterized by front-leg lameness or a swollen elbow that sticks outward. Rottweilers are one of the most common breeds affected by elbow dysplasia. Both hip and elbow dysplasia can be hard to diagnose, with many cases not being found until after the disease has progressed in adulthood. Some dogs may be a candidate for surgery, depending on their age and the actual defect, but many can be managed quite well with a holistic protocol.
- Osteoarthritis In Dogs - Dogs can get arthritis in their joints and spine which can be very painful. Degenerative joint disease is very common in older dogs and can cause overall stiffness. Older dogs with spine arthritis may also have spondylosis (bone spurs) or intervertebral disk disease (IVDD). The cartilage and discs in the spine break down as part of the normal aging process. With spondylosis deformans, your dog's body forms bone spurs or osteophytes in an attempt to stabilize the weakened joints in the spine. There is no inflammation with the condition, but the bone spurs can put pressure on the spinal nerves causing intense pain. Spondylosis occurs in older dogs and is most common in large breed dogs, such as Boxers and German Shepherds. Degenerative IVDD is a progressive condition where the cushioning “shock absorber” discs between the vertebrae in the spinal column rupture or degenerate. This can cause pain, and loss of mobility. Several research studies show that resveratrol has considerable potential for the repair and regeneration of intervertebral discs.
How can I treat my cat’s arthritis naturally?
There are many natural remedies available that can support healthy joints in cats and help to ease the pain and inflammation caused by arthritis. Ultra-Flex Collagen is a natural whole food supplement that strengthens cartilage, rebuilds connective tissue and supports joint health. It is a food source of glucosamine and chondroitin. This natural remedy is backed by scientific research and is a tasteless powder that makes it easy to administer.
What is a natural anti inflammatory for cats and dogs?
Curcumin is a scientifically proven natural anti-inflammatory supplement for cats and dogs. A blend of three curcuminoids which are the strongest and most protective parts of the turmeric herb can reduce inflammation, help relieve arthritis pain and improve mobility. Curcumin absorbs best when taken with fats, especially Omega 3 fatty acids such as Amazing Omegas. Fish oil contains essential fatty acids (EFAs) that are helpful for arthritis. Supplementing with natural omega 3s and natural pain relievers such as curcumin may reduce the amount and frequency of non- steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDs) your pet needs.
Should you walk a dog with arthritis?
Keeping your dog moving is essential to maintain mobility and prevent stiffness. As your dog ages, he may not be as excited for walks or be able to go as far, but walking a dog with arthritis is important for both his physical and mental health. Short and steady walks are best. If your dog is able, going up and down hills can be a great exercise and work different muscles.
What is the best joint supplement for dogs?
The best joint supplement for dogs should contain a comprehensive blend of minerals, vitamins and herbal nutraceuticals. Just using glucosamine for dogs is not nearly as effective. ArthroSoothe For Dogs contains over 15 scientifically proven ingredients to promote joint repair, increase mobility and reduce joint degeneration. These natural ingredients include Glucosamine sulfate, Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM), Glycomarine (green-lipped mussel), N-Acetyl L-Cysteine (NAC), Boswellia, Turmeric, Cetyl myristoleate, Hyaluronic acid, Resveratrol, Collagen II, Vitamin B3, Zinc, Selenium, Copper and Manganese. ArthroSoothe is the most comprehensive joint supplement for dogs. It is helpful for dogs with arthritis, hip and elbow dysplasia, joint pain, stiffness, osteosarcoma or bone disorders, dogs taking NSAIDs or pain medications, and as a preventative for young active dogs.
What is the best remedy for arthritis in dogs?
The best remedy for arthritis in dogs will help to restore flexibility and maintain healthy joint function and cartilage. Arthritis is caused by inflammation and degeneration in the cartilage and joints. Natural anti-inflammatories like curcumin, MSM, boswellia, turmeric can help to reduce pain and inflammation without the potential side effects of prescription NSAIDs or pain medications. Glucosamine sulfate, hyaluronic acid, collagen and resveratrol, all included in this hip and joint supplement for dogs, are scientifically proven to help with the repair of cartilage and connective tissue. By helping to support your dog’s joints and skeletal tissue using natural joint support supplements, an anti-inflammatory diet and holistic treatments such as acupuncture and chiropractic care, you can help relieve long-term pain and the need for using dog pain medications on a daily basis. Our supplements are recommended by veterinarians and have been proven to help reduce pain and discomfort, promote healing and repair and improve mobility.