Treatments For Cats And Dogs With Giardia And Parasites
Most pets, especially puppies and kittens have parasites at some point in their lives. Pets become exposed in community settings such as dog parks and boarding facilities, sharing food or water with another pet. Parasites, especially giardia can be very hard to get rid of and can become a recurring problem. Parasites need to be treated first by a veterinarian. However, it's essential to help repair the intestinal lining as both the treatment and the parasitic infection can cause inflammation in the intestinal lining and subsequent weakening of the immune system. The inflammation in the intestinal tract can contribute to a pet developing IBS and IBD. Using supplements to repair and rebuild the intestinal lining will help. Colostrum for Pets, NotaSAN, Power Probiotic and the IBD Kit are essential as a natural after-treatment for pets with parasites. Please see the Featured Products below the IBD Kit. If you need help, please email us at Support@AskAriel.com and we will be glad to assist you.
Important Facts You Need To Know About Treating Giardia in Pets
Giardia is a protozoal infection (parasites) of the intestines that is transmitted by water or fecal ingestion and can be easily transmitted, even from the nicest facilities and pet social areas. It can spread very quickly to other pets (and humans), so it is important to be proactive in preventing and treating giardia.
Know the Signs Of Worms and Parasites In Dogs And Cats
Giardia parasites literally eat your pet's food and nutrients. These are the most common signs:
- Intermittent or Continual Diarrhea
- Weight Loss or Failure to Gain Weight
- Lackluster Coat
- Bloody Diarrhea
Get Your Pet Tested For Giardia, Worms, and Parasites
It is very important to have a fecal smear and ELISA test to check for giardia annually. Many pets will be asymptomatic and will not show signs and testing is the only way to know for sure. Giardia can be easily transmitted if your pet has access to open streams, playtime with other pets or has stayed in a boarding facility (even at a vet's office!) - virtually ANYWHERE!
What To Do If Your Pet Has Giardia?
Treatment for giardia needs to be a multipronged approach. While the medications may kill the giardia, the infestation can have a long-term impact on your pet's immune system, digestive system and bowel function (Many pets may be diagnosed with IBD later in life). Thus, it is essential to use both conventional treatments from your veterinarian along with an after care treatment plan using natural supplements and good hygiene to prevent reinfestation and help heal your pet's intestinal lining.
Effective Treatment Of Giardia In Dogs And Cats Will Need To Include:
1) Antiparasitic medications prescribed by your veterinarian
2) Maintaining good hygiene to prevent re-infestation
3) Supplements to repair and rebuild your pet's intestinal tract
Hygiene Tips To Avoid Re-infestation:
- Wash your pet and your pet's bedding several times during the first 2 weeks of the treatment period.
- Use a baby wipe or wet paper towel and gloves to wipe your pet's rear-end after defecation
- Re-infestation is a HUGE PROBLEM. If at all possible, keep your infected pet separated in an isolated area. You may want to ask your veterinarian about proactively treating other pets although the medications can be harsh. Be sure your infected pet only urinates and defecates in an isolated area (no grass is best) away from where other pets may go.
- ALWAYS wear gloves when picking up stool infested with giardia or parasites/worms and then throw the baggie into another baggie with a tie on top. Immediately pick up the stool if possible. Giardia can set into the ground, concrete etc.
- After you clean up the area, please use bleach or a cleaning product containing bleach. Be prepared--you could need about 30 rolls of paper towels in a 10 day period and several bottles of cleanser. Wash your shoes after walking on the infected area.
- Keep children, workmen, pets and housekeepers away from the trash.
Long-Term Immune and Digestive System Support
Pets affected with giardia will need some after-care to support their digestive and immune health. Giardia, worms, parasites as well as the treatment medications can cause intestinal irritation leading to intestinal inflammation. Many pet owners report that their pet has more sensitivities to foods, allergy symptoms, bouts of diarrhea and loose stool after having giardia or worm infestation. That is why it is so important to use natural supplements to help heal the intestinal tract and rebalance intestinal flora.
Be Proactive With Your Pet's Digestive Care
Pets can develop IBD or IBS because the inflammation in the bowel has not been addressed. Power Probiotic AND Colostrum for Pets support your pet's intestinal health, can reduce the risk of infection and provide healthy flora to reduce inflammation in the intestinal tract. The IBD Kit restores balance and helps heal the intestinal lining from the irritation caused by the Giardia infection and the prescription medications used to treat it. Any pet diagnosed with worms or parasites can benefit from these products. If you are boarding your pet at a day care facility or veterinary clinic, the Power Probiotic and Colostrum can be used to help ward off disease and support digestive health.
IBD Kit -This kit includes 3 unique supplements specially designed for cats and small dogs to calm and soothe the digestive tract, firm up stool, relieve tummy rumbling and reduce gas, mucus and bloody stool. The Kit includes Power Probiotic, Soothing Digestive Relief and NotaSAN Anti-Inflammatory Drops--products that have been recommended by veterinarians for over 14 years. Ideal for pets with IBD and IBS as they are gentle, easy to use and all-natural--NO FILLERS! Please click on the link to view testimonials.
Colostrum For Pets - Great for pets that have (or had) worms or parasites (eg. Giardia) as it helps to heal the intestinal lining preventing further inflammation which can result in a weakened immune system.
Power Probiotic -The best probiotic for pets! Backed by scientific research, this powerful multi-strain formula promotes the growth of friendly bacteria which are essential to a healthy immune system. Critical to use if your pet has taken antibiotics, steroids or anti-parasitic medications as these can deplete the friendly bacteria needed for a healthy immune and digestive system. Most pets love the taste too. Safe, natural and NO FILLERS!